My Views on Game Balance

Go down

My Views on Game Balance

Post by Zirrick on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:54 am

Really when everyone screams that balance = generalization I get confused. I really do, my thoughts were always this: If everything is overpowered in a way, then balance will work itself out.

This is why I think that the following classes should be broken-up into these sub-classes.

Here are the abbreviations I use:
SR = Sniper Rifle.
BA = Bolt-Action.
SA = Semi-Auto.
DMG = Damage.
PRT = Portability
RCL = Recoil.
ROF = Rate of Fire.
ACC = Accuracy.
SPRC = Spread recovery.
RCLPTN = Recoil Pattern.
ST = Still-Time, time spent immediately after not moving.
SCPIN = Scoped-in, looking down your scope.
DDO = Damage drop off, decay of damage that occurs over range.
DRWTM = Draw time, the amount of time it takes for your gun to be able to fire after its pulled out.
QS = Quickscope.
CQC = Close-Quarters-Combat, ranges typically from 0-30.

Sniper Rifles:

1) CQC BA
These guns will be the ones that are built to QS, using them gives an advantage for that technique of sniping. They aren't known for their accuracy, but make up for that in terms of raw power. They are able to be pulled out, take down a target effectively, and quickly move on.

• ACC = 94 - 91
  • PRT = 43-44
  • DMG = 100 (they shouldn't be tanked by heavy vesters from ranges 20+)
  • ROF = 12-13
  • DDO = should degrade to a 2HK at 80+ meters on a medium vest.
  • DRWTM = should be the 2nd quickest of the BA's.
  • ST = should be the 2nd quickest of the BA's.
2) Pin-point BA's
These guns are those made for counter-sniping, they should be able to be quickly pulled out & be used to pick at a limb or head sticking out.

• ACC = 99 - 100
  • PRT = 45 - 51
  • ROF = 13 - 15
  • DMG = 95 - 97
  • DDO = no damage drop-off, they should be able to be used at all ranges.
  • DRWTM = should be the fastest of the BA's.
  • ST = good how the current M24/SPR series works now.
3) Hybrid BA's
These should represent a cross between the CQC & Pin-point BA's, they should boast high DMG & ACC. They should be the swiss army knives of the BA series.

• ACC = 97 - 99
  • PRT = 43 - 47
  • ROF = 13 - 14
  • DMG = 98 - 100
  • DDO = They should typically be related to their ACC, high ACC/DDO, low ACC/DDO.
  • DRWTM = should be the slowest of the BA's
  • ST = equal to that of the CQC BA's
  • SPRC = yes they should be subject to dynamic properties similar to how other guns work.
4) CQC SA's
This would be the 1HK SA's the game would need, they either High Power or RoF/Low Accuracy. They would be intended for short ranges, and outside their optimum range would drop to a 2HK.

• ACC = 90 - 94
  • PRT = 35 - 42
  • ROF = 18 - 25
  • DMG = 94 - 97
  • RCL = 55 - 70
  • DDO = They would typically become 2HK at around 40+ meters, if they aren't so already.
  • DRWTM = should be the fastest out he the SA's.
  • ST = good how it is so far.
5) Pin-Point SA's
these will be the guns-of-choice headshot hunters would seek.

Last edited by Zirrick on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zirrick
Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Re: My Views on Game Balance

Post by mrfarhan on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:12 am

A subclass should have a tiny boost over another subclass, this makes the weapons in that class unique.
So every single subclass is unique, this will sort of balance things out.

But wait.

If Nexon really did introduce subclasses, there will be 1 OP gun for every class. And sooner or later they will release 1 weapon that has almost, if not all the 'unique' traits each class possesses.

Meh.
I've given up on balancing weapons.
mrfarhan
Good Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zirrick on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:34 pm

pretty much we have to as a community raise up against them to force them to nerf the newer OP guns if they create a swiss army knife of each class.
But really I've almost given up on the CA NA community, they accept the terms their given like a sheep being herded.

really my thoughts are that this game is in the shitter, ever since they added the M416 CQB. They aren't idiots, they know what would happen if they introduced an OP gun.

Really I view Kalika as a succubus, a nice exterior to mask its true motives. She herself is very nice, and has done alot for us, and I thank her for that. But ultimately she is a PR campaign, to control the masses that sheep masses that play this game and chase every new gun that is released.

The FFCA is my first/last attempt at salvaging this game from becoming a maplestory-clone. If the community continues to shoot down these attempts, I'm gonna go play black-ops. There are a few people who I do like in the CA NA community, actually there are alot. Some of them still need to learn that pessimism is an emotion and not a philosophy. Some of them need to keep to the age-old lesson of think before you speak. Some of them need to learn to be more than sheep. Some of them learn to bite the hand that drugs them.

Last edited by Zirrick on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zirrick
Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazarath on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:06 pm

FFCA is also the last thing I vowed to myself to do before I leave if I do ;o

Perhaps we should bring up other games as examples for if people decide to stay comfortable/conformable with current additions. Like Maplestory as you said.

Hazarath
Good Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfarhan on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Hm.. I thought Maplestory has NX reskin-only items?

Isn't that better than what we have now?
mrfarhan
Good Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zirrick on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Oh and a prediction for the upcoming future of CA, and no-one can contest this.

This game is its catch-phrase of being an "arms race", nexon will continue to release guns that will continue to surpass the ones before them. Not all of them will outright be OP. they will test the waters by releasing a kind-of OP weapon, then continue to see how people react. If many people still buy this new item, they will continue to push the boundaries of each new items abilities. They do this every so slowly so that you get used to their conduct, they will distract you with events to buy these new weapons in the form of sales, with pr campaigns, but in the end they will fix nothing unless the community rallies and opposes them.

This is why shoulder-peeking still exists, why the DSR exists, why the TPG exists.
This is also why CA EU eliminated their satellite scanner, and why the turrets/m32 are what they are now.

Ultimately their free-to-play pledge will stand unchanged, it is incredibly general. It is basically telling you that if you can aim, and learn how to, you can defeat any OP gun they throw at you. Disregard the fact that it is time consuming to obtain these guns through free means, as well as the fact that a sad total of 2 guns per gun class are ever used in-game.

oh and nexon can act like this because of their F2P monopoly, I say monopoly in the sense that Microsoft has one.

Rant over.
alright, so whats next in line for the FFCA again?

Last edited by Zirrick on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zirrick
Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazarath on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:58 pm

CA EU got satellite scan removed?

OMG

We could use this to our benefit Very Happy

Hazarath
Good Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zirrick on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:27 pm

haz, who the hell uses sat scanners anyway?

Zirrick
Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdsolider on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:08 am

I honestly, out of the whole Combat Arms population, have only seen the sat scan used by maybe 6 different people in the nearly.....*checks profile* 2000 games I've played. A whooping .05%

In a sense, it's very underpowered considering what the other spec weapons can do in as much time as it takes to benefit from the scan.

*I know none of you guys have heard of me, but by tomorrow I hope to have an explanation of who I am and why I'm here.

3rdsolider
Full FFCA Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfarhan on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:10 am

Doesn't really matter if people use sat scans, it's legit chams.

Turrets = legit chams + Aimbot
Sat scan = legit chams
mrfarhan
Good Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfarhan on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:11 am

3rdsolider, intro yourself at the IGN/Intro section? Razz
mrfarhan
Good Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazarath on Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:00 pm

We could tell CA NA's community that if we worked together, we could do things thought impossible, like removing satellite scan. I'm sure we can AT LEAST get all the WOGL clones to support us if we can do for CA NA what CA EU did for themselves Razz

imo if the sat scan made it so that BOTH sides had chams for say 30 seconds, I think that'd be more balanced ._.

I dunno though... hard to make this belong in a game like this..

Hazarath
Good Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by Zirrick on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:22 pm

haz, again. no-one uses sat scans. Really everyone hates specs, they are against anything specs have.

Zirrick
Ambassador

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdsolider on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:34 pm

mrfarhan wrote:3rdsolider, intro yourself at the IGN/Intro section? Razz

Oh, I thought that was just for pioneers like you and Haz. I'll be sure to post it there. Razz

3rdsolider
Full FFCA Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdsolider on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Zirrick wrote:haz, again. no-one uses sat scans. Really everyone hates specs, they are against anything specs have.

I honestly can't think of any ways to convince Nexon to remove the specs altogether. But I do think there could be a way to make people more comfortable with their existence.

Someone on the forums (long time ago, I will cite him if I manage to find his post again) suggested for new weapon restrictions like "no specs", "no spec weapons", or even "Specs Only". If they wanted, Nexon could even add it as a "on or off" button like the super soldiers mode so that specs could be banned without sacrificing sniper bans or things like that.

Maybe not the perfect solution, plenty of ways it still could be abused, but at the least it would give every player the power to keep specs out if they hate them so much, and also keep a safe haven for the ones who still want to be able to use them. The Specs could even have "Spec Only" fireteams if they so chose.

Bring on the criticism ;P

3rdsolider
Full FFCA Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdsolider on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:49 pm

Hazarath wrote:We could tell CA NA's community that if we worked together, we could do things thought impossible, like removing satellite scan. I'm sure we can AT LEAST get all the WOGL clones to support us if we can do for CA NA what CA EU did for themselves Razz

imo if the sat scan made it so that BOTH sides had chams for say 30 seconds, I think that'd be more balanced ._.

I dunno though... hard to make this belong in a game like this..

I don't exactly feel that the sat scan is one of the more OP spec items. It doesn't solely benefit the user, so even non-specs can feel the benefit of it. Furthermore the effect of the scan is quite short, the enemy team is warned of the scan eliminating a lot of the surprise factor, and the device has a cool down time for its reuse.

Though it may be very unfair in no-respawn modes like elim pro or S&D, the worst it can do in elimination matches is uproot campers that hide behind corners and things. (Which probably get more hate than the scans themselves.)

Bottom line? I don't know if many people will consider it a victory to kill off an item that doesn't see much action, and doesn't do much damage on its own if it does get used. If we DO want to try and get a Spec weapon removed or toned down for rep, I feel that we should be trying to go after the most overused/game disrupting ones. This would be things like the minigun, hornets, and first-aid kits if I understand correctly.

Last edited by 3rdsolider on Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)

3rdsolider
Full FFCA Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfarhan on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:24 pm

Hmm.

I'd like to see spec weapons and mines causing less lag first before we attempt to balance them ._.
mrfarhan
Good Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdsolider on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:34 pm

I'm just going back and forth between the different threads popping some ideas in lol

But wouldn't the multi-thread plan as well as the repack help out with that problem?

3rdsolider
Full FFCA Member

Back to top Go down

Post by mrfarhan on Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:33 am

Yes, we have to convince people that these changes are necessary.
Most of the CA forumers think the repack is all that's needed to reduce lag.

but srsly, look at the mines and spec weapons causing FPS drops.

The maps that lags - Dark Forest, Vertigo etc.

:s
mrfarhan
Good Forumer

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdsolider on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:58 pm

Very true, I never go to two towers if I can help it, I can't ever get anything done there.

Hell, I can barely play Snow Valley anymore

3rdsolider
Full FFCA Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdsolider on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:05 pm

mrfarhan wrote:Yes, we have to convince people that these changes are necessary.
Most of the CA forumers think the repack is all that's needed to reduce lag.

but srsly, look at the mines and spec weapons causing FPS drops.

The maps that lags - Dark Forest, Vertigo etc.

:s

But I find myself wondering about why you call vertigo laggy, I probably get ragekicked more on Vertigo OMA that map than any others for "hacking". I really just love that map. Small, easy to navigate, and less small openings than Junk Flea. For some reason, I don't lag there as much as other places. Maybe I'm getting kicked by the people that do lag on that map and think I'm opking them?

3rdsolider
Full FFCA Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 3rdsolider on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:09 pm

Actually, this makes me think of another big problem that CA has, Perspective.
I'll right something bigger on this later, right now I'm writing of a laptop in my kitchen. (Hey, french fries don't make themselves Razz)

3rdsolider
Full FFCA Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum